Below is a list of Questions (and Answers) that guests often ask our receptionists:
- How do I make a booking? The easiest way to make a booking is by clicking on the BOOK NOW button on our website Home page and entering your booking and personal details, including your credit card number. We do not charge anything to your card at the time of booking so 100% will need to be paid in cash or by card upon your arrival at the hostel.
- How do I cancel my booking? You must contact us directly via our email: firstname.lastname@example.org in order to cancel your reservation. Please note that we have a 1 day cancellation policy, in other words we need to have received your cancellation before 12 noon the day before your arrival. Cancellations received within the 1 day period before your arrival will be charged as a no-show, which means the cost of the first night will be charged and any remaining nights will be cancelled.
- Do you offer luggage storage? Yes, we can store your luggage and bags on the day of your check-out, free-of-charge. We also offer longer term storage as well; for instance, if you are heading to the Corn Islands and want to leave a backpack or two with us, no problem. Please talk to our receptionist for more details on longer term storage as our storage space is limited.
- Do you have any special rules that I need to be aware of? It’s more a philosophy than a rule and is one of inclusiveness and respect for others. Having said that, we expect that our staff is treated with proper respect. Any guests that have shown a lack of respect for our staff, the hostel premises or other guests will not be admitted to the hostel or will be asked to leave.
- Is it safe to take taxis in Managua?
It is generally safe to take taxis in Managua during daytime hours, however, we recommend that our guests be very cautious when taking random taxis off the street or from transportation terminals and bus stops after dark. First of all, make sure that the taxi has the markings of a legitimate taxi, i.e. has red and white colored license plates (always take note of the license plate number before entering the taxi), has a “cooperativa” symbol painted at the front drivers side and has a checker-board sticker painted along the full length of the car. Secondly, you can ask to see the taxi drivers license.
- Are you able to call a taxi for us to bring us to the airport? Unfortunately in Managua there is no central number or call center to book a taxi. In the past, we have had a list in reception of taxi drivers to call, but too many times the drivers were unreliable and often never showed up at the agreed upon time. For that reason we now only offer our own transport which offers a clean and safe transport option for our guests. All of our drivers are licensed, insured and we have copies of their identification.
- Do you require a credit card in order to make a reservation?Due to the high volume of reservations that we receive, we require a valid credit card number as well as expiry date in order to secure a reservation made through our website or via email/phone. In most cases, this information is simply used in order to secure the reservation and the card will only be charged in the event of a ‘no-show’ or for non-payment or damage to the hostel facilities. It is still the choice of the guest whether they would prefer to pay the balance of their stay in cash or by credit card.
- How do I get a job at the hostel? The best way is to ask to speak to the owner/manager, if you happen to be staying at the hostel. We can talk about what type of work we have. Normally in exchange for 5 days of work, we would offer you a bed in the dormitory and a few beers after the end of your shift.
- Is it safe to walk in the area around the hostel?
Yes, it is generally safe to walk in the neighborhood, named “Colonial Los Robles”, in which the hostel is located. However, guests should always take precautions by not carrying more money than they need to and by locking up their passport and other valuables at the hostel.
- Do you have a printer that guests can use to print airline tickets? Yes, as a free service to our guests, we offer free printing of airline boarding passes in our reception area.
- Where is the downtown/center of Managua? Unlike most European and North American cities, the commercial center of Managua is up for debate and is not clearly defined by a tall cluster of towers. Before the earthquake of 1972, the center was clearly located near the lake to the north of the hostel. In recent years, the center has shifted to the south along Carretera a Masaya. The “new center” encompasses the area around the shopping center named “Metrocentro”. The hostel is located approximately a 5 minutes walk from Metrocentro.
- Is it safe to drink the water in Nicaragua? In the major cities, including Managua, Leon, Granada, the water is chlorinated and is generally safe to drink. As a precaution and for those of our guests that may have a sensitive stomach, we have water filters connected to the taps in both of our kitchens. We also sell bottled water in reception.
- How do I get to the Tica Bus terminal? The Tica bus terminal is located in the neighborhood called “Bolonia”. It’s located approximately 15 minutes by taxi from the hostel. For your personal safety, if you do plan on taking the Tica bus in the early morning, we recommend booking a shuttle with us.
- Do you allow smoking in the hostel? In general, smoking is not permitted in any area that is under a roof, including the private rooms, dormitories, indoor and outdoor lounge areas and reception. Smoking is permitted near the pool. (As a side-note to guests that smoke weed, unfortunately, due to the strict laws against drug use and possession in Nicaragua, we cannot allow weed to be smoked in the hostel…sorry!).
- Do you allow pets?
Unfortunately we cannot allow pets of any kind inside the hostel.
- What are your check-in/check-out times?
Our earliest check-in time is 1pm and our latest check-out time is 11am. Having said that, whenever possible, we will try our best to accommodate guests that arrive before the check-in time.
- How late is the reception open?
The reception area is open 24 hours.
- Do you have towels? Yes, we have towels for guests to use during their stay at the hostel. There is no additional cost for the use of the towel however there is a refundable deposit ($5US) for each towel which is returned to you when you return the towel to reception.